Feb 9, 2009

On to bigger, better things... (I hope)...

This week, I entered uncharted waters -- again. The morning I returned from parental leave, I was notified that my job was being moved to Michigan. I was given a week to decide whether I would move myself or take a severance. Suffice to say, we're staying put. My last day was Friday.

The decision means I'm joining millions of others in the unemployment line. The future is uncertain and pretty scary. But my now former employer gave me, essentially, a fair shake in terms of outplacement and transition. In the short term, we'll be fine.

All of that said, the situation stinks. The company had been very good to me over my 12+ year career there. I've had access to great people and great opportunities. For the first year and a half, my last assignment (3 years) was no different. I felt I was doing good work, valued and making a difference.

The past year and a half has been a different story, so shortly after we completed our move to Minnesota, I began an informal job search. Turns out, this is a very good thing, because now I've already got some momentum.

I sincerely believe that adversity breeds opportunity. It's hard to keep that focus, particularly when living through challenges, but I suspect that in due time I'll look on this experience the same way.

I also have a strong, wonderful wife. We've been through a lot together. I thank God for having Lisa, Joshua and Evan, and some really great friends to help me through what's ahead.

3 comments:

Jinx McHue said...

Can I offer a word of advice? Don't be afraid to think outside the box. What I mean is this: I was in retail sales for a long time. Had a degree in it and everything. I was moving up the ladder into management positions. The pay was really good, but the hours were inflexible and horrible. I decided to find a different job and had my mind made up that it was going to be retail sales. Then my wife said that there was an opening at her place of employment: a home for developmentally disabled adults. I was hesitant at first, but since I took the job, I've had stable employment for almost 10 years. We were also able to work with the employer to balance our schedules so that we've never needed a lot of daycare or babysitting for our kids. (Another bonus is that this type of business is almost entirely recession-proof.)

So just don't get stuck in the rut of thinking "I'm only going to take this type of job" or "I'm never going to take that type of job." I think too many people in this country do that and that's why so many people are unemployed right now.

--Jason

Caroline said...

I have been a lurker for a while and would love to know how you guys are doing.

Kyle said...

Hi Caroline,
Thanks for lurking :)

We are well. I started a new job at the end of March. Between that, a new baby and a two year old, I've run out of time to blog regularly.

I'll probably get motivated to write more again soon, whether it be on family life or my ever popular views of the world.

Stay tuned.

Kyle